Friday, February 15, 2013

Birds of a Feather...

This is my first submission to the Artistic Outpost Referral Program. This month's Referral Program is Anything Goes and the winner will receive an Artistic Outpost Prize Package!

When I saw this bird, I knew that I wanted to add him to some kind of wall hanging and decided to use chipboard. First, I painted the background with a mustard acrylic paint then added a few layers by using strips of dictionary pages, then a few pieces of tissue paper. The quote at the top left corner is stamped with black ink on tissue paper and the quote on the bottom left hand corner was stamped on a piece of muslin. I wanted to simulate what I imagined a bird would use in nature to create its nest, so for the embellishments I used feathers, small tree branches, a small piece of bark, piece of cheesecloth and a maple seed. Not sure if that's accurate, but that's what I imagined. :)  All the buttons used are Mother of Pearl. The plain ivory are vintage but the smaller ones with the yellow flowers are new. A piece of muslin was tied at the top in order to allow you to hang the wall decoration. The bird was stamped on watercolor paper and painted with Distress Inks using water brushes. I added a bit of Distress Stickles to give it some sparkle.

I am also going to submit this project to Fashionable Stamping Challenges. This is Challenge #41 and the theme Birds. The winner at Fashionable Stamping will receive a prize from Cottage Crafts.

Hope you liked my project and thanks for stopping by!!! :)





       post signature

9 comments:

craftattack said...

Your bird hanging is really gorgeous! Love the delicate colours and all the embellishments you have used! Valerie

Joan said...

Beautiful piece,love the feathers and the bird colours are lovely

Sue said...

This is beautiful, I love all the layers and the way the colours are delicate yet still vivid (if that makes any sense at all lol) x

Meggymay said...

Gorgeous hanging, love the details and the beautiful bird stamp. Thank you for joining us at FSC this time.
Yvonne/Meggymay

Dagmar said...

Oh so beautiful work - so much details to discover!

Hermine said...

Its lovely

Terry said...

Gorgeous! I so love how you colored that fabulous AO image! Thank you for playing along with us at Fashionable Stamping Challenges and thrilled to see you at Artistic Outpost!

Dots Dabbles said...

I love all the natural elements that you have used in this piece. It makes it so much more special and I bet it was heaps of fun to create!
Thanks for joining in the fun at Fashionable Stamping Challenges this fortnight
Dot x

Mrs.B said...

This is lovely. Love all the details you have added with this gorgeou image.
Thanks for sharing with us at FSC
Avril xx